Sunday, May 19, 2013

Tie Tape

Last week I opened a new roll of tie tape and it spazzed, meaning that a bunch of it came undone from the roll.  I didn't have time to roll it back onto itself.  So for a week I had it messy as I often use it on jobs and plants at home.  Yesterday we staked my little Eucalyptus tree.  I had to tie it anew.  The whole roll of tie tape came completely undone and ended up in a pile on the ground.   I tied up my tree and feeling frustrated went inside to re-roll my tie tape.  



It toom me 20 minutes watching tv to roll it up.  I even tied a loop around it so it wouldn't happen again.


So I thought I'd take this opportunity to explain the difference about materials with which one ties.    Stretchy tie tape above is best for plants.  Because it stretches, it moves along with the growth of a plant.  Metal wire even if it's plastic coated is not intended to support growing things EVEN IF IT'S SOLD IN THE GARDEN/NURSERY DEPARTMENT!!!   I can't tell you how many times I've seen metal twist-tie type of material cutting into a plant or tree trunk.  It will kill a plant!  When a plant grows larger, the wire cuts into it, not expanding like the stretchy stuff, therefore cutting off water flow and possibly ending in death of the plant!  


So, I hope this helps the next time you go to find a material with which to tie your plants.

If you have any questions, or comments please post here.  Sometimes I think no one reads my ✿❀✾ blog. Happy gardening!  



No comments:

Post a Comment