Thursday, July 11, 2013

Confused?


Clivia usually come in orange. And in SoCal this easy to grow plant from South Africa is in every shady spot you can imagine. It is named for Lady Clive so say Clive-ee-uh (like hive).

I have 2 of my yellow Clivias blooming today.... IN JULY! That's crazy! This is a plant that's supposed to bloom late winter. That's Feb & March for us. And they did! This yellow Clivia I got from my friend Michael way back when yellows were out of my price range probably about 17 years ago. I separated it into 4 clumps and planted them in the ground here at our about-to-be 3 year new house. They are happy and growing and somewhat confused but I love them.

Yellow is rare for shady spots. Impatiens, Begonias, Camellias, Azaleas nor other shady plants come in yellow! So it's nice to have it! I'm not complaining :-)

In my photo is also the lovely red leaved Iresine in back and Begonia richmondensis to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment