Saturday, August 30, 2014

Night Blooming Jasmine

Night Blooming Jasmine is native to Asia and the West Indies.  It grows up to 13' tall, takes sun to part shade and is frost tender. Here in SoCal it might get frost burn in winter(if we have a frost) and look crappy but almost always recovers.  It is a fast grower.  Mine is 2 years old but I've been pruning it to make it bushy. 

























Hot August Nights are great for Night Blooming Jasmine which is not even actually a Jasmine but Cestrum nocturnum. But not so much for me.  It has been so hot that we have kept  the AC on until almost bedtime.  That means that I can't open the windows to enjoy the intense fragrance of the one Night Blooming Jasmine plant under our kitchen window.  And we live too close to the freeway to leave our windows open at night.  So I would be happy if the weather would cool down at about 6:00 or 7:00PM please.  Can you do something about that?  Thanks :-)





2 comments:

  1. Jasmine is a plant that you don't see often in Switzerland, especially in the countryside. I sometimes see it in nurseries, but it's always in the greenhouse sections, meaning that it's not a perennial here unless you pamper it over the colder months. That's one of the perfumes I miss most from my SoCal garden -- that and the blooms from my Meyer lemon tree!

    ReplyDelete