Friday, January 9, 2015

Cotton Cushion Scale

Here is a bug to be on the look out for. It's called Cotton Cushion Scale or Icerya purchasi(never would have guessed that name!). It's a sucking insect that damages plants, most often Citrus, Pittosporum and sometimes Roses. I have seen them on many different kinds of plants.  I found these today while pruning a client's roses. Now they're in the trash! The other scale that is most often seen is like a brown barnacle and is difficult to eradicate. This one is pretty easy to just wipe off, hose off or just cut off the branch. I never even see real damage from them.   But they are gross and you want to get rid of them. The info of it's life cycle on Wikipedia is so disgusting that I'll let you go read it there.   wikipedia     Did you read it?   EW! SO GROSS!



























My rose pruning total this week is 260. 
Added to last week is 516 total so far! 
Happy Pruning!

No comments:

Post a Comment