Monday, November 5, 2012

Purple For November

I have loved this plant for many years but have never seen it in anyone's garden!   It is Hypoestes aristata.  I wrote a little bit about it last year when I cut it for a bouquet:  Nov 2011 post  It is native to South Africa(as so many good Mediterranean plants ARE), grows 3-4 feet and likes part shade/sun. I saw it in a very cool nursery called Desert To Jungle in Montebello about 15 years ago and bought one.  Since I was gardening exclusively in containers back then, I planted it in a whiskey barrel with some other plants.  It flowers every November and gets cut back almost to the ground after flowering. I had to leave mine at the old house because it was with a tree that was too big for our moving van :-(  But I was able to buy a couple more after our move.   I planted this one in early Spring in my own garden near our very tall Cedar tree on the east side of the house. It is blooming like crazy now!



All it took was a little pinching through the summer and some staking and water.   I had one more in the backyard on a north side that got bushy but didn't flower.  I planted it about 10 feet away from the other one in the front yard last week but it was kinda hot and I had to cut it back.  We've had a hot autumn this year in SoCal.  It was 90º today.  I am so looking forward to cooler weather.  


You may be able to find this plant in independent nurseries, you know the one you go to find something different.   I got one at The Huntington Library & Gardens: The Huntington        I love it and you might too :-) 


1 comment:

  1. Nice looking plant; thanks for the recco.

    ReplyDelete