Saturday, December 21, 2013

Design Inside


As I was cleaning up and planting in my yard yesterday I found something interesting. Salvia farinacea "Victoria Blue" is an easy common summer perennial that many treat as an annual. Cheap that I am, I try to save them by cutting them back. You can tell on a Salvia when new growth appears at the base of the plant that it's ok to whack it. I had already cut back many of the Blue Salvias because the tops looked crappy. But on this one I left a stubby trunk. It bothered me so I cut it shorter and saw this purple design inside. It looks like a butterfly or a shamrock. I honestly don't know if it's supposed to be there or is some disease. Most Salvias make many stems instead of a big trunk. So I had never seen this before. Have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment