Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Red Foliage

I adore colored foliage because most plants are green. Red foliage really stands out and compliments things around it. One of the best is Iresine herbstii. The common name I'm told is "Beefsteak plant". But nobody calls it that. I've hardly heard Iresine either because nobody talks about this plant. I think it's an old fashioned plant that should be more popular. Iresine grows to about 4 feet tall if you let it. I like to pinch it to make it bushier or it will get floppy. It does sometimes produce tan/greenish flowers that are better cut off! It will take some sun but does best in partial shade. It looks spectacular when the sun shines through it. It is usually only found in specialty nurseries. I wonder why it's not more easily available because it's so easy to propagate from cuttings. How fabulous is red foliage with pink veins!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful specimen. Could it be a variety of Coleus?

    ReplyDelete